Wednesday, October 12, 2011

"Someone Like You" cupcakes


You might be thinking what a strange name for cupcakes. I just happened to be listening to the song "Someone Like You" by Adele (I pretty much just had it on repeat) while making these. I guess I could have called them Yellow Cake w/ banana flavoring w/cream filling w/chocolate buttercream icing, but it just doesn't sound as catchy. So, Someone Like You cupcakes, it is!

This is fairly easy, but there are lots of steps. We're going to make a banana flavored yellow cake, but you can do vanilla if you want, or whatever flavor tickles your fancy. Then we'll make a cream filling, insert picture of me drooling here, maybe not. Finally we'll finish these off with a chocolate buttercream! While the cake is light and fluffy, it is a very rich cupcake, you'll want to serve these with a nice tall glass of ice cold milk. Otherwise you're just being mean.



Yellow Cake

Ingredients:
1/2 cup shortening
1/2 cup butter
2 cups white sugar
4 eggs
3 tsp vanilla extract (I used banana for mine)
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 Tbsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1 3/4 cups milk (I used half & half in place of the milk)







Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 F. Line muffin pan with paper wrappers. I spray the top of the muffin pan with cooking spray so the tops of my cupcakes don't stick to it.

Cream together shortening and butter until smooth. Then add in sugar and beat till it's smooth and creamy, about 3 minutes.


Beat in eggs and vanilla.




In a separate bowl, combine flour, baking powder and salt.



Add to creamed mixture alternating with the milk. Make sure to scrap down the sides of the bowl after each addition. Mix very well.






Scoop batter into muffin pan, about 2/3 full. Bake for 17-19 minutes. Remove from pan and cool completely before filling or frosting.




Cream Filling

Ingredients:
1/4 cup butter
1/4 cup shortening
2 cups powdered sugar
1 pinch salt
3 Tbsp milk
2 tsp vanilla

Directions:

In a large bowl, beat butter and shortening together until smooth. Blend in powdered sugar and pinch of salt.




Gradually beat in milk and vanilla. Beat until light and fluffy.




Fill a pastry bag with a small tip (I have a tip from Wilton made just for filling cupcakes. You can find it at any craft store in the cake decorating section). Push tip into top of cupcake to fill each one.




Chocolate Buttercream Frosting

Ingredients:
1 cup unsalted butter, softened (but not melted)
3 1/2 cups powdered sugar
1/2 cup cocoa powder
1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp vanilla extract or 1 tsp almond extract
4 Tbsp milk or heavy cream


Directions:
Cream butter for a few minutes in a mixer with the paddle attachment on medium speed (I used the whisk attachment to give me a lighter and fluffier looking frosting).



Sift powdered sugar and cocoa into the mixing bowl. Turn your mixer on the lowest speed (so the dry ingredients don't blow everywhere) until sugar and cocoa are absorbed by the butter.






Increase mixer speed to medium and add vanilla extract, salt and milk/cream and beat for 3 minutes. If your frosting needs a more stiff consistency, add a little more sugar. If your frosting needs to be thinned out, add additional milk 1 Tbsp at a time.





Fit pastry bag with desired tip (I used a large star tip), and fill with frosting. Frost cupcakes as desired. This should be enough frosting for 24 cupcakes, it all depends on how much you put on each cupcake.





Some things I love:

I don't know how I ever lived with out my glass bowls. I would be watching The Food Network and just be so amazed how smart these chefs were to have all their ingredients measured out. One day while I was at Walmart I found them, my own little set of various sized glass bowls. I love them sooooooo much. Now I can measure everything out and put all the things away before I start baking. It makes life a lot easier as well as keeps my kitchen a little cleaner.



I also love, love, LOVE my Kitchen Aid mixer! My husband gave it to me 6 yrs ago for my birthday (I actually like appliances as presents, I think they might actually be better than jewlery. Well......maybe a close second.) I use this all the time, it's rare that I go more than two days without using it. LOVE, LOVE, LOVE it!


I have to have music while I'm working in the kitchen or working on craft projects. It really makes things fun and makes the time fly by. My wonderful hubby bought me a dock for my ipod. I love this man, he's pretty amazing.

1 comment:

  1. Alright Kelly...I'm going to try it! It just looked too good! How do you have time for all this? Again...amazing!

    ReplyDelete